Thursday, April 24, 2014

V values Valentine!

I know many people, including myself, who are not a big fan of "days" like the Valentine's, Mother's, Father's etc.
Why choose a single day to express love when you can do it any time and any day of the year? And better still, all the time and all the days of the year. I was pretty cynical too. But this year, I got a reason why such days are celebrated.

This was our first Valentine's day after the birth of our daughter. But as first time parents, we were dealing with our own struggles - some personal family issues, a demanding 2 month old and a recovering mother i.e. yours truly. All these didn't really give us any space or time to even think about celebrating the V day. I had become way too cynical. It seemed to me that these days were celebrated by people who had the time and energy and do it. And not really the people with real problems at hand.

The husband got me a spa reservation at a five star and informed me only in the morning of V day so that I could not cancel as I was wont to do because of the work pressure. He not only helped me finish the chores, but drove me to the place, took care of the baby while I enjoyed my full body massage replete with a sauna. Needless to say, I fell short of words. I had not planned anything for him. And he gave me what I really needed. Some alone time, and some pampering.

And that day I realized that V days are not all useless. Even though he might not say the I love you everyday. Sometimes we might not even talk for days altogether. But days like this tell us that it's not all that bad as it looks. He might still be angry at me for something that I don't agree with, but that doesn't mean he doesn't love me. That even though we can say the I love you everyday, but the truth is we don;t. So what better than the Valentines' to say it and declare it?


11 comments:

  1. Hey that was very thoughtful, like your husbands way through Valentine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I was cynical bout V Day but over the years, find it be cool N fun. what harm if u can make ur love one feel special and happy with gifts, choco and more love plus flowers:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was very sweet of him. But this can be done on any other day too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow !
    What a pleasant surprise ur hubby gave to u and what a bful post. Yes we also dont celeb any particular day but moments like these make any MUNDANE/ tough day a special one
    Lucky u
    stay blessed

    ReplyDelete
  5. that was so thoughtful of him. this year, even I had a good time. Here's my post on it. http://natasha-pointstoponder.blogspot.in/2014/02/celebrating-love.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a very thoughtful gesture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful post...I like celebrating these days even if in a small way..

    V for Violated-Random Thoughts Naba

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a thoughtful gesture! It is these thoughts that make every day a Valentine. In this case, the timing was just right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww really thoughtful. We don't actually need to express our love in words, these small little gestures speak for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was wonderful gift for you from your husband. I am someone who does not have any issue with days for celebrating anything. After all, having a day for anything does not mean we do not love father/mother/spouse on other days or that we don't celebrate them the rest of the time. We do, but we keep aside a day as a special gesture. It is as simple as that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely V-Day gift .. Such small things once in a while mean a lot .. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear back from you :)