Sunday, April 27, 2014

X Chromosome!

During my pregnancy last year, the one question that we kept asking ourselves and each other all the time was, "What do you think it would be? Boy? Or girl?" Sex determination tests are banned in India to curb the menace of female infanticide. And so, even though we did our customary scans from time to time, we could never figure out the sex of the baby. We even tried asking the doctors but to no avail. In retrospect, it is a good thing if the practice of not revealing the gender is being followed religiously across the country.

There were lots of guesses. Friends and family took guesses based on their own experiences, the old midwives' tales like the shape of the stomach, glow on the face etc. There are also a couple of Chinese zodiac quizzes which try to determine the baby's gender taking into account the conception month, and symptoms the mother-to-be is facing like morning sickness etc. In my case, everything turned out accurately wrong. Everyone told me it would be a boy. All the Chinese tests said it would be a boy. And, so when the D-day arrived, and when I finally delivered my bundle of joy, I immediately just wanted to know what it was. We had waited long enough. But again, I had to wait a good 15 minutes before my X-chromosome (girls are XX and boys are XY) was brought and shown to me. And I remember giving her a giddy sweet long smile.

I know, for every parent, their child is the most beautiful, the sweetest and the best. Needless, to say, I love love love my X-chromosome. She is beautiful, she is smart and incredibly naughty. After I have had her, I can't even imagine what it would have been like to have the Y chromosome ;-) I can't imagine a life without her. We were happy before we had her. Now, it's euphoria :)

My X chromosome :D

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations Ghata! :) That's one sweet little thing there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How adorable. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very sweet post.. and your X chromosome looks adorable.. lots of love .. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let ur XX multiply ur smiles and happiness :) good one on X

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet post! Your little one looks adorable truly. Those guess work techniques are all wrong. In my case, everyone predicted a boy the first time, and a girl the second time around. I had a daughter first and then a son. Incidentally, I posted about X-chromosome too. So same pinch :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh she looks gorgeous, and you are one lucky Mama to have her

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's something fun about the surprise of not knowing until after delivery. Where I live everyone finds out so they know how to decorate the nursery and what gifts to request. Oh well -- to each her own. I have 2 girls. And of course they're beautiful, smart, and just like their mother. (wink wink)
    Visiting from A to Z~
    Wendy at Jollett Etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aaawww...she must be a real bundle of joy. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried through several children to get my girl. So happy I did and happy to share your journey and experience here through the A to Z challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. She looks adorable. i can understand the euphoria :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. She's adorable! You did a good job. Congratulations on your "X" chromosome. Elle @ Erratic Project Junkie

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear back from you :)